Saturday 3 March 2012

Questions from Reader 4


Q
Are there any ideas from work based or organisational knowledge theories of learning that could be used to understand your own professional inquiry?
I’m not sure at the moment, as I currently don’t work in Theatre. But I do like the way The National Theatre creative staff share they way that they teach cast members, and the good structure they have for learning. The National Theatre’s Head of Voice Jeanette Nelson has posted 4 videos on you-tube of how she teaches cast members to warm up.


These videos can help my inquiry to help me plan rehearsals for future theatre productions, and it should help me retrieve answers for my inquiry.

Do you work within a disciplinary context in the arts? Or is your situation more trans-disciplinary?
It’s a bit of both. In my church you tend to self-discipline yourself and when it comes to working with children, you already know the values that are in place, due to growing up in that environment. If you haven’t you tend to have a chat with Mrs Roberts*, complete a CRB form, and have a CRB clearance.
Obviously we can’t swear or wear inappropriate things, but we can worship freely. We can pray freely. I don’t have to be disciplined at church, and in regards to the children, we don’t class it as discipline, we class it as helping the children to learn values that we think is right for them to learn. I mean there is discipline but we aren’t like nuns in a boarding school. We’re not strict. We discipline with love.
*Names have been changed to protect people’s identity.
What do you know? How do you do it? Make a brief list of your competences and capabilities.
1.     I am a tiny bit competitive in Theatre Directing (but not over competitive). I am not competitive in my current working environment.
2.     My capabilities are looking after children in a great environment in which they learn. To teach them important values. But most importantly to be their friend, their aunt etc.

What knowledge and skills do you think you will need for the future?

In Theatre Directing I would need management skills, creative skills, knowledge of practioners, theatre spaces, financial support, planning meetings, planning group rehearsals, planning one on one rehearsals, etc.

What were some of the points in the reading that you will use to develop your topic?

I won’t be using any of the points from the reader but I will be using some points from the article I read with Tiffany and from the book “DRP” on the different types of Knowledge (which actually comes from other theorists in the reader with similar views). So the points I will use will be:

1.     Eraut- Developing Professional Knowledge:
“I intend to use the term ‘knowledge’ to refer to the whole domain in which more specifically defined clusters of meaning reside. This all the different forms of knowledge… procedural knowledge, propositional knowledge, practical knowledge, tacit knowledge, skills and know-how.” (1994)

2.     “There are structured types of art (Media, Dace etc.) that have Workplace Knowledge neatly placed in their sectors. But for the types of art that don’t fit are classed as Trans-disciplinary.

What are some starting points that you might use for your questions?

I will investigate previous Theatre Directors i.e. Mike Leigh, Lawrence Olivier etc. and see how they started out, where they trained and what questions they ask when they are writing plays, directing plays. How they work in general.

Are there questions or comments or observations at this point?

Refer to Task 4A.


What are your expectations about discussing these questions with the people with whom you work?

I’m not sure as I am currently not working in a theatre environment. I’m wondering, where does this leave me? Can I still go ahead with my inquiry?

Can you ‘theorise’ your own worker-researcher position?

No. I am not classed as a worker-researcher. I work for my church (which is a registered charity.) We are considered as volunteers not workers. I could be classed as a volunteer-researcher (if you were to put a name on it).

Can you find sources within your organisation, such as company policy papers or job descriptions that clarify how your relationship to the organisation will affect your inquiry?

New Life Church has a good list of ethics, but these ethics and what I do within the church won’t affect my inquiry.

New Life Church Ethics:

Finance- Accounts are thoroughly checked
Bible- The Bible is the thesis of the church
Child Protection Policy- Everyone is CRB Checked

Paul Hickman (one of our pastors) said (when I asked him what the church’s ethic is) “Open, Accountable, and Transparent”.

How does your SIG compare to other groups or communities that you are a part of in the workplace?

One of my SIG compares to the groups I associate with at church via Education. My church provides groups that teach young people of all ages about Jesus. This SIG provides insights and different ways of providing education. This SIG I have now left, but can help me for the future. My other SIG is Theatre Directing. As a freelancer with no current work, I am writing scripts, characters, costume designs, set designs etc to keep my research for my inquiry going.

How will you use your SIG?

I will use my SIG to encourage my thoughts on being a Theatre Director, of current Theatre Director’s, of funding in the arts. I will also use my SIG to talk about these things and get opinions on these matters.

How will you evidence the shared practice within you own professional inquiry process?

I will use a diary (possibly both written and audio) to explain what I did on the occasions of my practices. And then research as to whether anyone in the Theatre Directing business has kept a diary of what they have done in rehearsals, when they are writing scripts, and also see if there are any similarities between both diaries. I will also upload images to support what my diary says. 

1 comment:

  1. Lily - I really like the way you have put all the questions from Reader 4 into one grouping - makes a lot of sense this way. I will share this idea with others.. and link them to your blog.

    How have the questions helped you focus? You are starting to develop your topic area - some points still seem quite broad but there is time to develop these with discussion.

    This discussion flows right into the ethical issues and where you plan to carry out your inquiry - some of these question began to emerge in Part 4. You are then looking at your topic area using examples of literature and seeing what tools would be helpful to you in the inquiry (e.g. interviews).

    How are you going to actually look at directing using your current situation. Churches are normally considered voluntary or not for profit businesses because they are often run as charities, as you mention. However, you are still a worker-reserawcher (unpaid) and will be talking with people who know you and your work.

    Is this the place where you are planning that your inquiry will take place?

    Are you planning to look at other church-related theatre of performance?

    What will you be directing?

    ReplyDelete