Thursday 1 December 2011

Task 3A- Current Networks

1. What are the current and different ways (tools) that you have, or do, engage your professional network?


Phone/Mobile- Current
Letters- Past
Emails- Current
Face to Face conversation- Past/Current

In University I use:
Blogs
Skype
Email
Face to Face
Facebook
Twitter
Phone/Mobile

As an Individual I use:
Email
Facebook
Face to Face
Letters
Phone/Mobile

In the Moonlite Players I used:
Email
Face to Face
Facebook (Cast Members)
Phone/Mobile

I professionally network more at Uni and as an individual than in the Moonlite Players. This is because the theatre group lacks a modern way of Professional Networking.

2. What are the established (and different) ways that others use their networks, especially if they are more established or experience practioners that you admire?


Sarah Kane- Born 1971- Died 1999

Sarah was an amazing writer with a brilliant but closed Professional Network. Her network consisted of the following people:

Bristol University
Birmingham University
Martin Crimp
Harold Pinter
Caryl Churchill
The Guardian
James MacDonald.
Her Parents (her life)

Sarah used her network to help her direct her plays, to help her become qualified, to be praised and to be inspired to write. Her childhood, adolescence and her adulthood are the stories behind her work.

I admire her network because she continued going on with her writing even though she suffered setbacks from the press, and from depression. Because she wrote some fantastic realistic work, that challenged a lot of what was going on in our world in the 80's and 90's. She wasn't afraid to write. Blasted is a good example of this.

3. Are there method's, approaches and technologies that you use socially that might apply and help you develop your professional networking? 


There are.
These are my Methods and Approaches:

I set myself small goals, I keep a diary so I know where I have to be and when, I have a celebrity page on Facebook and a Twitter account that is professional. This is so I can have a personal Facebook where my friends can keep in touch with me. I also have just started connecting with people in my Professional Network using Skype (Paula Nottingham is my latest connection).

These are the Technologies that I use:

Adobe
Photoshop
Premier Pro
Word
Google Docs
Blogger

4. When you reflect upon current networks, can you think about the motives of others to be in the network and what values and purpose they have in mind?


In my BAPP network, everyone has their own way of networking, writing things, reflecting. The motives we all use are to express what we think (in a rational way), The values we have are to listen and think about what others have said in Group Discussions, on Blogs, on Google Docs etc, to get the most of of the course whilst learning from our lecturers and from our colleagues.  The purposes we have on the course are to boost our practice and to add friends to our Professional Network.

5. What would your ideal network look like and why?









This would be my ideal network because I would get along with everyone (as they are friends of mine), and from a business perspective I think we would all work well together with the experiences everyone has in their sub sector in the Performing Arts. It would be like a crescendo of people. There are also people in my ideal network who have and still are teachers who teach me about the business side to running a Performing Arts Academy.

6. What realistic things could you do to work towards developing your ideal network?


- Build up a group of Contacts, Friends, Advisor's
- Create my own company with Partners
- Save up to achieve this goal ^
- Conduct a contract (with a Lawyer) to make sure that no-one breaks the rules or is unhappy
- Find Investors, Supporters, dedicated Volunteers etc..

7. What tools and methods do you need to use? What do you know about your current, and intended networks and importantly, What don't you know?


Tools: 
Phone
Email
Letter's
Face to Face
Skype
Conference Calls
Technical

Methods:
Careful approach (Kind etc.)
Evidence, Business Plans
Backing statements from supporters
Business partners
Time keeping

What I know about my current network is:

In regards to my current network, I know about contracts (reading and signing), being a music technician, communicating with potential group members, as well as my acting duties.

What I don't know about my current network is:
1. How to write a contract/agreement properly
2. How to keep myself from quitting the group
3. How to stand up to people who have spoken about me behind my back.

What I know about my intended network is:


In my intended network I know how to communicate with people, come up with business plans, conduct meetings, and controlling accounts to name a few.

What I don't know about my intended network is:
1. How to financially support the company?
2. The laws of wages, running the company?
3. I don't have a business background, Where should I start? How? What do I have to do? Gain a business degree?
4. How do I get people on board?
5. Will people think I'm dumb for not knowing enough about business?
6. Does everyone in the company's staff have to know their jobs fully or with £2,000 (for example) can I offer training?
7. How do I build a company?
8. How much time do I have to put into the company?
9. How much energy and money will I have to have to set up a company?






















2 comments:

  1. Dear Lily!
    Thax for your link to Sarah Kane. I had never heard of her, but of her short "Skin" and decided to look her up a bit more on the web just now.
    What an inspiring persona!!
    I hope you are keeping well,
    .fione <(")

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Fione! I am well thanks and I've barely got to know Sarah just over the past 2 yrs on my foundation degree. Look up her work "Blasted" troublesome but an amazing piece of work. hope you are well too. x

    ReplyDelete