Monday 24 October 2011

Journal Writing Experience

Friday 27th October 2011.

Today I met with my director for a meeting. We went through my script to get the song titles for "Cinderella". I then purchased the backing tracks. We couldn't get all of them, but we tried our best. The songs that we had were then burned off onto CD for the cast. We also had a talk about things that were coming up, for example our next promotional event for the company, going to see Priscilla Queen of the Desert, and having the company's annual Christmas dinner. We are holding a Christmas Bazaar soon, and we want people to come and buy cakes, enter a raffle, donate things to sell etc... We then took a break and had some lunch which turned into a conversation about my Wedding Dreams. What my dress is going to be like? Who my maid of honour is? My walking down the Aisle song? How I want to walk down the aisle by myself? We then got back on point and spoke about the annual Christmas Dinner party for the company. We looked at several restaurants, some expensive and amazing, some in mid price range and not too bad, and some cheap and not great at all. We decided to check out the Holly Bush Gastro Pub in Hampstead, North London and it is about £25 per head for a 3 course meal minus drinks. This seemed really reasonable.

We then prepared everything that we needed to take to rehearsals with us, and travelled down to our rehearsal location. It was a good walk as it wasn't cold or too warm and I got a chance to catch up with my director on how her week had been and vice versa.

At rehearsals:

We shared with the company the things we discussed earlier which were:
- The Christmas Bazaar
- Priscilla Queen of the Desert
- Christmas Dinner
- The CD's with the songs for "Cinderella" on

Everyone liked these ideas and that was a relief as I knew that our director wanted to get right to our point of being there. To rehearse scenes from the Pantomime.

The scenes we rehearsed were:
- The Kitchen Scene with Buttons.
- The Stepsisters Scene with their ball gowns.
- The Kitchen Scene with Buttons and my Stepmother.

In the Kitchen scene you see Cinderella interact with Buttons and later on in the scene with Buttons and her Stepmother. As we had just done a huge promotional event in which I did most of the background Technical stuff,  I was just re-getting to grips with the way my lines needed to be said and how I need to act/perform in order to make the scene solid and set in stone.

It was tough at first as I hadn't been concentrating on it that much. Some parts of the scene needed going over and over, but it's only for the benefit of the actor/actress and the company as a whole. You have to do things over and over until you get it right.

So busy rehearsals, busy technical work, busy with uni, and busy with serving God.

But it's manageable and I feel amazing to be working again. It will be tough now and again, but what job isn't?

I look forward to see what tomorrow brings as I have a one on one rehearsal with my director.


2 comments:

  1. Lily - how would you describe your role in the company? In community theatre sometimes people have several roles - you are an participating actor and an assistant to the director? What did this journal writing experience tell you about your professional practice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paula, I will think about this and post it on here as a Q&A session.

    Thanks very much!

    Have a good week

    ReplyDelete